Rick's 2020 Mount Kilimanjaro Challenge for The Mental Health Foundation



Welcome to my big challenge!




Hello!

I am Rick Leach, a presently quite unfit 58-year old Grandad, full time Civil Servant and part time writer and Arts Editor for the Getintothis music site.
.
I’ve decided to undertake a quite frankly nerve-jangling attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro - all 19,341 feet of it - to support and raise funds for the Mental Health Foundation charity.

It’s a massive yet worthwhile undertaking and one that will see me having to become fitter and healthier and radically changing my lifestyle beforehand - you may have seen some celebrities recently climbing it as part of Comic Relief.

Mental health affects so many of us and in so many ways and is something I feel passionately about.
We all need to raise awareness, break the stigma surrounding mental health and bring about change and this is my small way to do something about it.

My attempt is happening in October 2020 so I do have a bit of time however to get prepared. I’ll be looking to raise a minimum in sponsorship of £4600 for the Mental Health Foundation and I’m asking for your assistance to help me achieve that goal.

Every little would help in reaching that first goal along the way towards a very worthy cause and I’d be very grateful if you would consider making a contribution. 

I’ll also be looking to set up a vast, varied and fun range of events to raise the main sponsorship fund and please, if you have any ideas for anything that we can do, however big or small in getting towards the main total, then please do let me know!

This is my first posting on my new blog so you can follow my progress and see how it’s all going.
I’ve set up this Virgin Money Giving page here where you can make a donation and see how close I am in getting to the point of no return!

It’s going to be a long and bumpy ride and one I hope you’ll be with me every step of the way!

Thank you so much!

This is me!

About The Mental Health Foundation:
 

The Mental Health Foundation is the UK’s charity for everyone’s mental health and are celebrating their 70th anniversary in 2019. They put prevention is at the heart of all that they do. By finding and addressing the sources of mental health problems, their work enables people and communities to thrive with good mental health.

They conduct vital research to find the sources of mental ill-health, to develop advice for better mental health based on the best available evidence and ultimately prevent mental health problems from occurring.

They produce authoritative reports and launch evidence-driven campaigns, which are presented to policy-makers and key influencers, encouraging them to fight stigma and bring about change. 

They want to create a movement for change and do this by giving a voice to as many people as possible, including through engaging the population in Mental Health Awareness Week which they host each year.

They innovate through designing programmes and new solutions to prevent mental health problems from occurring, transform the lives of those experiencing distress, and improve everyone’s mental health across communities.

Comments